Monday, November 28, 2005

Back to work

Today's proverb:

lyubish katatsya, lyubi i sanochki vozits

"Those who enjoy skiing downhill had better enjoy climbing uphill".

The downhill run I've been on since November 15th's chapter submission is over and the trek upwards is on. Got positive feedback from advisor, but she also introduced two separate ways the thesis could go. Direction A involves structuring the whole thing around three conceptual catagories that I discuss in my recent chapter. Direction B involves staying the course, with each chapter being a window into a different aspect of the phenomenon I'm studying. (A) would change things substantially, and possibly make the thesis more relevant to contemporary theory (though it would mean taking on some of the biggest theorists in a relatively small field). (B) gives me a chance to basically write a minimum of 5 articles based on the chapter topics (as yet completely ignored by academia), and in some ways will be less work but will result in a more pomo, disjointed sum. It will also let me be the first to write comprehensively on a topic that has not yet been addressed by any academic. I want to be the first, damnit!

Some real thinking and weighing of options lies ahead. A month and a half ago, this dilemna would have sent me into a cold sweat. Today I find it exciting and challenging. I'm carrying theory books around on the bus with me and am enjoying the feeling of nerding out in public.

2 Comments:

Blogger Julia said...

i vote for a. go big or go home. if you take them on and they run you out of the field then you just have an excuse to move to paris sooner :)

2:50 PM  
Blogger grad student hack said...

Yes, I'll do that. But then I won't get to talk about X and I love X. And then there's Y, which gets jettisoned completely. Y never did anyone any harm. I think I'll go for option B. No, that's not right. A. I mean B. Damn!!!!

12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home