Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Hot toddy*

Amazing what a little rum and tea can do for one's mood at 10am. Not to mention my allergies have cleared up and my hand feels okay (but not so okay that this will be very long).

Join my breakfast medecinal drinks club by doing this:

Mix 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp butter, 2 tsp lemon juice, dash of nutmeg/cinnamon/ginger/cloves. Add shot of rum. Pour in a cup of hot, strong tea (I used organic pekoe today), stir, drink. Voila, an end to flu symptoms, sore throats and congestion. Even grandma would approve.

I guess, technically, you should have this before bed and maybe just have the one.

Onwards with the to-do list:

Remove mouse from jaws of companion animal. (*much freaking out* check)
Walk animal companion since it's so deliciously foggy outside and said companion would appreciate it, especially considering how I ruined his fun just now (see above).
Flesh out a rough outline for new chapter. Write 200 words, just to ease back into it.
Start waving comically large butterfly net about in hopes of catching research participants**.
Update and send out new query letters.
Make wishlist***.
Fix up budget, pay bills.
Tea with Red.
Read something thesis related.

*Since I'm not really a fan of the name Tod (sorry dudes, no offence), and feel abit queasy at the diminuative "toddy" (yes. I know, they're not related), the drink shall henceforth be named: "Hot Rum Drink".
**If you are from the university research ethics committee, please consider this a metaphor. Yeah, um, just a metaphor, right.
***New holiday gift receiving strategy 2005: make a publically accessible list more than 2 days ahead of the gift giving holiday.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

Hooray for warm alcohol!

First time I went to Ireland, I got a vicious cold. That led to someone ordering me a hot whiskey (whiskey, water, lemon slice with cloves stuck into it, sugar, and a big stick of cinnamon).

I was in love from then on. That stuff was a damn sight better taasting than TheraFlu, and it worked better, too.

That was also the beginning of my love affair with whiskey.

Oh, the memories. Makes me all misty.

12:16 PM  
Blogger grad student hack said...

I just started appreciating whisk(e)y. I'd only tried it a long time ago, and didn't really know how to properly taste it. I've tried it again (most recently in the form of some Laphroaig) and quite like it. Can you suggest any particular Irish whiskey?

5:11 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

i had a hot rum drink last night. although i really didn't need to make myself any more tired than i already was. it was really yummy though.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

Power's is a really nice Irish whiskey that's not ridiculously expensive (I think you can get a nice-sized bottle from BevMo.com for around $20).

5:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home