Sunday, January 07, 2007

Officially, it is done. I received my damage deposit in the mail from my landlord (less $61 for "cleaning", which I'm pretty sure is bogus, but I need to just let it go for the sake of my sanity). I have moved. I no longer live in a dilapidated heritage house infested with cannibal zombie squirrels, and I can already feel the difference in my health. Despite my love for the neighbourhood and my fondness for my unique and historic home, under the surface it was a very sick building and made my asthma and general state of health immeasurably worse.

I never want to move, ever again. The last days of 2006 were all about delerium, getting 5 hours sleep within the span of 50 hours of packing, eating junk food and cleaning. It was bad, and painful. On the upside, I got rid of two car loads of old clothes, shoes and tchotkes (to the thrift store), and gave away a writing table, a chair, a bed and a dresser. Craigslist's "free" section rocks my world, hardcore. You put up an ad, you get a bunch of emails, you put the stuff outside and someone else takes it away. Everything I advertised was gone within a day. The dresser and bed were both somewhat damaged (repairable), but I mentioned that in the ad, and they were taken away just as quickly as the mint stuff.

And now, it's final days until I leave for Eastern European Capital city (EEC). Wednesday I take off for four days in the UK, and then on to my new home city. I've got a meeting set up with the housing coordinator, a fabulous hostel booked and some contacts who will show me around and put me up (after a few nights of hostelling) in return for some crunchy peanut butter smuggled from home. I am excited and somewhat worried that I am forgetting something important.

Apparently my visa documents are on their way as we speak, and will be sent on to meet me in a neighbouring European country once I arrive in EEC. I will enter as a tourist, leave the country for the afternoon, pick up my documents and return as a temporary resident. I freaking love the fact that I can travel in any directions for less than 6 hours and arrive in a new country. I hope to do a lot of travelling.

I will be updating, posting photos and checking comments here while I'm away, and I've got a seperate blog under my real name that I'll be working on. I decided to have a non-anonymous blog so that I can post details about my travels. If you'd like to read the other one, leave me a note in the comments and I'll send you the url (point me towards your email address if you don't think I have it already). I'm happy to give out the other url to people I don't know IRL, but no anonymous requests please.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home