Thursday, October 12, 2006

Eastern European lawyers, grading and friends who don't take a hint

Anyone know an (unspecified Eastern European language, or UEEL for short)-speaking lawyer or notary living in Canada? I need some translated documents certified, and I'm coming up blank here. It's so awesome having to get my criminal records check authorized by the Department of Foreign Affairs. Thanks for not speaking UEEL, DFAIT. What are my tax dollars paying for anyways?

I'm in the middle of a marking blitz (only 116 papers to go) and am trying to power through all the paperwork involved with the prospect of moving to another country. At this point, even my paperwork has paperwork. Everything is actually going pretty smoothly, and I'm getting things done. I am, however, having trouble juggling social obligations with people who don't get that I've only got so much time in my day. I'm trying not to get annoyed at a particular school friend who is currently unemployed, and for some reason thinks my days are as empty as his. I hate to constantly put people off, telling them we can maybe get together next week, and never actually meeting up, so I start to feel guilty and agree to coffee, even when it's clearly not going to work for me. I do quite like this person, but he's at a crossroads in his life and has appointed me Official Life Coach. This means that even if I don't see him, I get calls every few days and when I do pick up, they end up being hour long affairs. Grrr.

Keeping me sane: BBC4, lapsang souchong with organic cream and honey, Coronation Street, Ian Rankin novels. You know, the uzh.

2 Comments:

Blogger jenn said...

Can you double the friend onto a task you already have to do? Like buy groceries or something?

When I finished grad school and worked the five jobs (or whatever that was), doing long-distance relationship, trying to get varioud things done... I had NO TIME and some really don't get that.

I think, maybe, just to say you have no time. Of course, I don't actually do this - but I love suggesting that someone else do it.

;)

9:01 AM  
Blogger grad student hack said...

Or maybe I can cut out the middle man and get my unemployed friend to just go out and buy my groceries for me. So, I'm evil, I admit it.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home