Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The state of today, in bullet form

Reading:

*Fleshmarket Close by Ian Rankin (again)
*Coraline by Neil Gaiman
*Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby
*Teaching textbooks and the teaching carnival

Writing (or procrastinating on):

*upcoming lectures
*a rather unsuccessful short story
*a series of magazine queries that are moving slowly from thought to action

Thinking:

*"I need more money to get things accomplished this year"
*"The house needs a new roof, do I take the landlord to arbitration, even though I'm planning on moving out soon? Or do I let the guy be a total slumlord and pay through the nose for him to do so in hopes that he won't give me a horrible renter's reference when I try to find my next place?"
*How can I clean the bedroom and my desk without actually having to do anything?"
*Do small dogs really need sweaters?"

Watching:

*Prime Suspect I, the best of them all I think. It's dark and British and brilliant. Helen Mirren's DCI Tennyson is, in my opinion, her best role. She walks into a murder inquiry, midstream, after the death of the bent cop who used to run the show, and fights against the male hostility and outright sabotage of her new "team". The interplay between her naked ambition, her tough-as-nails demeanor, her personal feelings about the case, her home life, and her battle to win over the bunch of lads who've closed ranks against her is fascinating to watch. Despite some rather grim moments, Prime Suspect is also quite masterful in the way it's shot. The cinematography is beautiful.

*Angel Season 2

Current plan:

*Get out of my blasted pyjamas and leave the house for the first time since Saturday night. I am finally over my bout with the flu and a cold, so there's no excuse for not enjoying the bit of sun that is peeking out of the rainclouds right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home