Monday, May 15, 2006

I'm just checking in as I warm up for the penultimate/ultimate draft finishing day. I'm progressing through it all. Chapter one is completely done, chapter two will be revised by noon, leaving a messy chapter three, an introduction that just needs some jigging and a longer conclusion. All told, a lot of work but manageable.

On the non-thesis front, bullet form:

*Got my application for housing and school in Eastern European City emailed off. Hopefully all will be in order for them to evaluate my application and there will be some loop hole that allows non-exchange students to attend the University.

Of course, it just bounced back from the international student office to my email account, so off to the post office tomorrow.

*The credit card company is "investigating" the charge on my account. They seem to be unconvinced that it is fraudulent, as the card was swiped at the pump and not maxed out that same day. Cuz all card scams operate the exact same way and apparently I banged my head and actually do own a car, drive to Surrey and patronize Evil Gas Company. Grrr.

*Got a job and then thought about it. Called back to say, thanks, but no thanks. Taking it on would mean working 7 days a week, and since it's an evening shift and I work out of town on the other days, I'd never seen anyone or be able to do anything fun. While it is painful to turn down a job that is handed over on a silver platter and would involve working at a good organization, I had to ask myself some questions: "Is this job going to advance me down the career path that I want to follow?", "Will it let me work on my freelance writing or will it suck all my available time and energy into the office-work vortex?", "Sure, I'll have more money and will be more positive about being able to afford Eastern Europe, but is it worth it?". All these questions got "no" as the answer, so I gave myself a stern talking to and girded my loins to call back and retract my acceptance. They offered the job Friday and indicated a certain level of urgency since their person is leaving next Monday. So my turning the job down was a bummer for them and earned a terse "Ok, fine, thank you", which made me feel bad. Then again, what can you do? Is it my fault that they are shorthanded? Should I sign up to do a job that I know I'll just end up quitting? No. So: moving on (but still feeling a little guilty).

*I'm a bit nervous about the money situation, as I have a bridesmaid dress to pay for, a trip back east and then the move to Europe (where I won't be able to work) but I like that I am putting some faith in my writing ability and trying to grow my freelance portfolio and not just jumping at the first non-academic/non-writing job that comes along.

*It's still gorgeous outside. I actually work well when it is sunny, as rainy days just make me want to snuggle up with an episode of Buffy and a mug of tea. Sun = productivity. And the bonus is that breaks can be spent on the porch.

3 Comments:

Blogger Weezy said...

FYI--- postings were in triplicate :) I hate when I do that and don't catch it!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Three times the posting fun!

1:26 PM  
Blogger grad student hack said...

Ah, yes. Fixed now.

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home