Monday, January 09, 2006

More than you want to know about me

Tagged by Ancrene, which made me feel special as it is my first meme and I was kinda hoping someone would invite me to the party.

Four Jobs You’ve Had

1) Dishwasher for a small restaurant that went under.

The chef/owner laid me off and then stiffed me on part of my wages. Even though I hated the job, losing it made me feel really unhappy for some reason. It's rad that not being Protestant doesn't stop the Protestant work ethic from kicking in. That night I went to a Weakerthans show at the Starfish. John K. Samson patted me on the arm and said he was sorry that I lost my job. That, and not having to peel any more shrimp, made me deliriously happy.

2) Guinea Pig

Through my undergrad I sometimes paid the rent by doing medical testing. I did audiology, cognitive process, sleep, psych and others (but no drug trials, since the risk is much higher, though the money is exponentially better). The sleep study was the best, since it paid well (about $50 an hour) and just involved getting a bunch of electrodes put on my head and sleeping or watching movies. The researchers played different sounds and monitored my brain waves. Then the cute young research assistant would wash the electrode gel out of my hair. Purrr.

I also did many consumer focus groups. This is why I never answer consumer polling questions over the phone. I could be making $75 a survey, and you want to call me up and get it for free? Nope.

3) Greenhouse girl friday

I washed half a million pots, planted and propagated, swept up, organized and worked a plant sale (do not get between gardeners and discounted plants! you could easily lose an eye), mixed soil in an industrial mixer, watered and powerwashed. This last task was the best. I'd get suited up in huge rubber aprons, boots, eye/ear protection, gloves and trousers and blast the slime off the 40 foot plant benches. My boss was always apologetic about giving me this work, but it really got rid of my frustrations. Forget yoga, go powerwash something.

4) Graduate teaching assistant

I love theory, and I love teaching. So, I'm a nerd. I admit it.

Four Movies You Could Watch Over and Over

1) LoTR
2) HP4
3) Ong Bak: the Thai Warrior
4) all the movies in my profile

Four Places You’ve Lived

1) East
2) West
3) Rural
4) Urban

Four TV Shows You Love to Watch

1) Buffy the Vampire Slayer
2) Coronation Street (especially as the ever fabulous Sir Ian Mckellin is guest starring for 10 episodes as a charlatan hack writer)
3) Angel
4) ER (I know, I know. I am cursed to watch this show until it ends. I can't seem to turn away, particularly as Kovac (purr) and Abby are finally back together. Groan.)

Four Places You’ve Been on Vacation

I thought I'd go with weird places/things I've visited

1) Manmade lake outside Bratislava, at the end of the tram line in an otherwise industrial area. We camped there and listened to Johnny Cash and lots of country western (in english and slovak) blare over the campground loudspeakers at all hours of the day and night.
2) Bone Church, Sedlec
3) Semi-abandonned campground on the highway into Zagreb which we shared with a very large Roma family and lots of mosquitoes. It was about 500 metres away from a Bosnian refugee camp.
4) Musee des Egouts, Paris

Four Blogs You Visit Daily

See the list on the right hand side.

Four of Your Favorite Foods

1) Dark chocolate
2) Organic wine
3) Vegetarian tourtiere, cretons, pate
4) Perogies, burek s sirom

Four Places You’d Rather Be

1) Paris
2) Budapest
3) Montreal
4) High Tatras, Slovak side
5) Croatian coast
6) Anywhere interesting

Four Albums You Can’t Live Without

I'm going to go with songs.

1) Munich, the Editors (I just heard this today, and I looove it.)
2) Take Me Out, (or anything by) Franz Ferdinand
3) A forest, live version, by the Cure
4) We be burnin, Sean Paul

Four Vehicles You’ve Owned

1) bicycle
2) shoes
3) public transit
4) Car cooperative membership

Four Taggees

Anyone who would like to play.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

Oh! You've been to the Bone Church! I'm so envious.

9:14 PM  
Blogger grad student hack said...

It was very cool. It's one of those things you hear about and think "this could be interesting" or could turn out to be a real tourist trap. It turned out to be the later, very much worth the trip (particularly because the surrounding area is really worth a visit). Generally you are not allowed to take photos without a permit, but the docent let us wander around taking snaps to our heart's content.

Kutna Hora/Sedlec is a beautiful little town, with a medieval (?) mining museum, gorgeous walking trails in the forest and such. We ended up staying in a B&B that was closed, since the elderly man (who was quite drunk the whole time) took a shine to us. The renovation team in the B&B was Kurdish (or Tajik, I can't remember) and didn't speak English, so we bonded over hockey play-offs. The electricity kept going off but we had a great time.

Ooh. This meme stirred up good memories.

6:55 AM  
Blogger grad student hack said...

I'll try to upload some pics later.

6:56 AM  
Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

That really sounds amazing. Sigh. I wanna go!

I'll be excited to see the photos.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home