Thursday, January 05, 2006

And lo, the water poureth from on high

Woke up to a cascade, nay, a torrent pouring from the ceiling. I think the score is now Rotten Roof (and even more Rotten Landlord):2, broke tenants:zip. Of course, landlord is off on his long vacation, living la dolce vita with our rent money. I have his cell number there, and I may call it. But the dude is a slippery one to talk to. Last time I called with an ultimatum, he kept quiet when I asked questions, hoping that I'd get nervous and let him off the hook by filling the silence with my own chatter. No dice, I've read the Interview Skills 101 handbook too, pal.

The good thing is that I have his email, which I know for a fact he checks often. It enables me to keep the tone reasonable, while establishing a written record of what I have said and his response (or lack thereof). It's evidence baby, and if it comes to a court-based skirmish, he is sa-crewed.

In the meantime, I'd like a new roof please. Or at least a break in the rain.

7 Comments:

Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

Oh, Lordy.

When I put up a bird feeder, only to have it visited by rats, I asked my landlord whether he could address the obviously pervasive rodent problem (which had, in fact, appeared in other manifestations). His condescending response was, "Ancrene, rats have been around for many years. They were around before us, and they will probably be here after us."

For real. Apparently, the evolutionary success of rats is a reason not to do anything about rodent infestations.

I gave up and took down the bird feeder.

Obviously, that doesn't come close to having the roof cave in on you (!): just wanted to express my empathy in having to deal with slippery landlords.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Not to sound insensitive Ancrene, but that has be the best rationalization ever put forth by a landlord.

5:44 PM  
Blogger Ancrene Wiseass said...

It is pretty magnificent in its way, innit?

5:10 AM  
Blogger grad student hack said...

Lol about the rats, Ancrene. I'm hoping the gods spare us from that particular plague.

I like how landlords suddenly get all philosophical about things. If it rains through the roof, but no one hears it, does it make a mess on the floor? (Actually, I've established that this can be answered in the affirmative).

Sorta good news: he says he'll call the roofer, follow up with an email to me and then put on a new roof in the spring. I'm not holding my breath, but this is the most response I've ever gotten out of him.

8:00 AM  
Blogger jenn said...

I'm still rather fond of the cat-pee back alley "new" fridge J and J were going to get from that last landlord of theirs...

My own personal favorite was the landlord who did renos while I was living there and opened my suite to the rest of his house, hired the pervert 'contractor' who I think used to wack-off in my bedroom, and who one day told me that if he had daughters like me he wouldn't let them out of the house.

But my current place is superkeen. Hot water tank started leaking last night and they were here today to look at it and order the new one...

of course, I'll let you know when it arrives..

nn

6:07 PM  
Blogger jenn said...

For what it is worth, I didn't type nn at the end of my post...

ohhhhhh freaky

6:08 PM  
Blogger grad student hack said...

Ah, landlords.

nn indeed. lol, jenn

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home